Friday, October 5, 2012

What is Quiet Time?

Post written by Raymund Tamayo


Doing quiet time, or “time alone,” is one of the best ways to have inner peace and quiet. In this time, we recharge our emotional and spiritual batteries to be ready for the next round of ordeals in this game called life.

We can do this at any time throughout the course of the day: early morning, lunch break, siesta, early evening, or before sleeping.

Usually included in this practice is a time of prayer and meditation, reading inspirational books, listening to peaceful, quiet, and inspiring music, or other activities that relaxes our whole being – body, soul, and spirit.

Easier Thought Than Done

Although this habit is very simple and important, many are having a hard time doing it regularly. Some say that they are too busy and just don’t have enough time during the day, while others say that they have more important things to do. Some even justify their motives by telling that “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.”

Busyness, idleness, procrastination, ignorance, and indifference are the major barriers in having quiet time. We just occasionally fail to realize how important it is to recharge our state of being.

Christian Quiet Time

Being a Christian, my quiet time includes:

1.   Prayer. This is the part when I talk to God. I thank Him endlessly. I tell Him everything I’m experiencing, good or bad. I also ask Him questions, and expect for His answers. Sometimes God answers right away through His Word, sometimes He answers as the day goes along through people and circumstances.

2.   Reading the Bible. This is when God talks back to me. Although God can speak to us through a number of ways (dreams, visions, audible voice, spiritual authorities, experiences, circumstances, etc.), He uses the Bible as the primary channel to get us His message. That’s why it’s very important to read it every day.

3.   Writing. After our conversation, I then write down in my journal the essential points received from Him. I started having an online spiritual journal last April, but I still do hand write more personal insights on a traditional paper notebook.

Every so often I sing worship songs with my guitar, listen to worship music, or read other Christian books, blogs, and other online articles. It’s never the same every day, except for the 3 habits I just mentioned.

My quiet time usually lasts an hour, oftentimes more, and my wife would walk in our quiet time room to remind me that I still have to go to work.

I do this in the early morning, every day, after my “first 20 minutes” daily routine. I chose to do it early in the morning to follow Christ’s example:

“In the morning, long before sunrise, Jesus went to a place where he could be alone to pray.” (Mark 1:35)

I also chose to do it in the early morning to prepare myself for the struggles, temptations, and other battles of the coming day.

What’s Important

When I was a baby Christian, I started with just 5 minutes of quiet time, praying and reading the Bible. Then it gradually increased as I grew more in my spirituality.

Having quiet time is not only important for a life of peace and quiet, but also for our spiritual growth.

As in every relationship, constant communication with your partner is essential for the relationship to grow. In the case of a Christian, we are in a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and having quiet time is bonding with Him. Just you and Him, one on one.

Still, it doesn’t mean that after having quiet time, we suddenly detach ourselves from God’s presence.

As your spirituality grows deeper, you’ll realize that it’s not only a time of daily devotion, but a devoted lifestyle already. Being in the presence of God becomes a 24/7 love affair.

I will discuss how to have a regular daily quiet time in my next post. Goodbye for now and God bless you all always.

2 comments:

  1. I suggest that when you do quiet time, you journal use the SOAP method.

    S- Scripture
    O- Observation
    A- Application
    P- Prayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi carlo,

      can you explain further about "observation"?

      thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...