Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How the Digital World Has Affected Our Relationships

Post written by Denielle Tamayo

Source: http://cherisse01.com/2012/07/07/digital-relationship-2-2/

Ask yourself, when was the last time you had a conversation?

A real one, that is.

One without the use of whatever gadget the 21st century has to offer.

You know, the face-to-face interaction with a fellow human being; deep in depth with a specific topic, no pretensions, vivid facial expressions, crisp sound of laughter...the works. 

When I was in college, one of my professors asked our class to draw what we would think humans would look like in the next century or so.

I found the question funny and, with childlike gusto, drew a "man" with a small body, short limbs, a very large head, huge eyes, dots for nostrils, hands with long fingers and no mouth at all in front of a wide screen desktop computer typing his heart out.

Thinking about it now, I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

With all the gizmos available for grabs, people forget how to really be with a real person. Everybody has a mobile phone, a computer is never out of reach, and every other person has earphones stuck in their ears to keep them company when stuck in traffic.

I see people texting while eating with family, talking to their teachers, reprimanding their kids. Heck, I sometimes find my husband in front of his laptop and myself in front of the iPad at night with my daughter asking both of us to shut our devices down for a cuddle!

Where has the human race gone?!

Sorry for my heightened emotions...all I want to say is this:

To all mankind: When with another human being – interact, be involved, converse, laugh, be in the moment, have a real relationship.

6 comments:

  1. i am (or should I say WE are???) guilty for being so techie! ;(
    petty fights because of divided attention, Jp's talking about his day while I am so busy with the iPad or He's playing ps3 and I'm the one talking
    whew!making one feel unimportant. Being too much engrossed with gadgets isn't really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! We really have to make that conscious effort to place value on what's really important--our relationships. Thanks for stopping by, Anj. God bless...

      Delete
    2. Thank you too for writing and INSPIRING people like me and paul! :) we are lucky to be able to read your posts... For us, it's somehow a constant reminder about Love, Life, Faith and everything under the sun! ;) hehehe

      Delete
  2. Danielle, I love this post! Earlier today, at a McDonald's branch, sitting and waiting for 'E', I noticed how almost everyone is holding their phones or ipads while eating, some of them alone, some aren't.

    I was, like, WT_$#%! Am I doing this? I made a conscious effort NOT to touch my phone the entire meal. Even if it was vibrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rae! I commend you for your huge effort. Hehe, :) Sometimes it's really difficult to do because we're so used to answering a call or texting back immediately even if we're with someone. What I do is, I usually put my phone in my bag when I'm out or on a specific table at home and just check it when I go to the lady's room or when I pass by that table. If it's immediate or important, it could always ring and I could always tell the person I'm with if I need to take it.

      Thank you for the visit. Blessings!

      Delete
    2. True, it's difficult. If I hadn't seen it on other people, I wouldn't have remembered to make a conscious effort.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...